I’ve come up with ten reasons to not use Facebook (see below), but I want to know why you aren’t on Facebook. No, I’m not trying to convince you to use it, I’m just curious about the different reasons people are not using it. I have my own theories, but I’d like to hear it firsthand from you. I, myself, resisted getting on Facebook for quite a while. My own reasons were that I was already using Linkedin and had to deal with invitations from everyone I knew with Plaxo and everything else out there, and if I didn’t join those networks why should I join Facebook? Plus, wasn’t Facebook for teenagers, like MySpace? Here’s my list of theories of why people don’t use Facebook. If you don’t have an account there and your reasons match any of these, feel free to just list the numbers and then add any other reasons of your own.
1. It’s for kids.
2. I have enough random website accounts to manage.
3. What am I going to get out of Facebook that I don’t already get from Linkedin?
4. I don’t have the time, and I’ve heard you can get addicted to it.
5. I’m just a rebel and am resisting out of sheer stubbornness.
6. I think the Internet, or at least Facebook, is evil.
7. I’m paranoid about sharing my personal information on public websites.
8. Why should I? Nobody has been able to give me a reason that compels me.
9. The last thing I need is people I haven’t talked to in 20 years being able to find me.
10. What’s Facebook?
Despite having had all these doubts myself, I’m now an avid user of Facebook. I’m not sure if I can come up with 10 reasons to use it. But maybe I’ll try.